Presentation Software – The Top Ten (10)

Views - 29,240
Filed under PowerPoint ,

Top 10 Presentation Software1. PowerPoint

Like it or loathe it, PowerPoint is here to stay. At 20 years old it is still the leading presentation software. At one point it was estimated that there are 30 million PowerPoint presentations given every day. But is it really time to Ditch PowerPoint?

2. Flash

For stunning presentations that you can also put on-line Flash is by far the best presentation technology on the market. The animation effects and the ability to import video are stunning. The biggest problem is that it takes a high degree of proficiency to get it to work for you. I have been on a couple of day classes and still find it extremely difficult to do even a most basic presentation. There are quite a number of examples of Flash Presentations you can find on the web.

3. Open Office Impress

Open Office Impress is the free open source presentation technology. It contains a number of features not available in PowerPoint. See our posts on Is Open Office Impress better than PowerPoint? and Free Impress Templates. You can also read Bruce Byfield’s comparison of Open Office and PowerPoint.

4. Apple Keynote
For those of you using Macs there is a small community of people who use Apple Keynote. They have just brought out a new version. Apple launches iWork 8 with Keynote update
5. Photoshop

If you want to make your presentations fly then you will need a way of easily editing images – for example to adjust the colours, or make images transparent. We use Photoshop a lot – but you could also use the open source equivalent Gimp. Why do you need to manipulate images – have a look at how to make incredible pictures.

6. NXPowerLite

NXPowerLite can compress files by as much as 75%, making them easier to use, store and share. It reduces file sizes more significantly than zip compression and removes the need to unzip. www.nxpowerlite.com

7. PowerPlugs Charts

If you want to make professional looking graphs and charts in PowerPoint then you will find the PowerPlugs Charts pretty hard to beat. The only downside is that once you have made the chart it is not easily possible to e-mail it to other people and allow them to change the image.

stacked chart8. Perspector

A nifty little tool for making 3d shapes for PowerPoint. Read the review of Perspector.

9. Color Schemer

PowerPoint comes as standard with the most appalling colour schemes. To solve this we extensively use an electronic colour wheel called Color Schemer. We bought the PC software but there is a free on-line tool at Color Schemer Online.

10. PowerConverter

PowerConverter is a nifty little tool that can convert PowerPoint to Flash. It is a nice way to put a presentation online and you can include navigation. We found that it was not fully compatible with all of the animation settings but was a good way to put a presentation online.

Anything that we have missed?

Views - 29,240

20 August 2007

Filed under PowerPoint ,

Related Pages

Comments on: Presentation Software – The Top Ten (10)

We missed off DirectorMX, which is similar to flash but runs from the desktop or CD rather than a browser.

Posted by jonathanball — 6 Sep @ 2:11 pm

Hi, I am just starting some research into how I might better present our data to clients (financial graphs etc.) Having done some surfing I was inpressed by the rolling charts I saw at www .IFA .com Anyone got any idea what software I would need to generate this kind of finished product?

Posted by Craig Burgess — 19 Jan @ 11:27 pm

I like AuthorPoint Lite for PowerPoint to Flash conversion. It is free and better than some paid tools out there and also helps you upload your presentation to AuthorStream and WiZiQ, where it plays like a youtube video in Flash format. You can even get a unique URL and embed code to play it in your site. I have seen some playing on the Ning network also.

Posted by Will — 11 Feb @ 2:16 pm

is there a better way to present your powerpoint presentations other than using a projector?

Posted by nicole — 23 Apr @ 5:39 pm

I’m a novice trying to put together a presentation for 2 weddings and a graduation coming up in my family PHEW !

Is there any software program that is easy to use that will allow audio, video, animation ect. even put together a game or quiz formate.
Remeber your talking to a beginner.

Mary

Posted by mary — 4 May @ 2:48 pm

I have a presentation question but I don’t know if this is the proper forum. I am a photographer and I would like to be able to creat a photo presentation on a disk to hand to customers but with the restrictions that the presentation could not be hacked (misuse of photos) and could not be printed from screen (Ctrl P). Do any of the top ten presentation programs provide anything like that?

Posted by Fotogeorge — 27 May @ 5:08 pm

Scala Infochannel is very good but awfully pricey.

Posted by C. White — 27 May @ 10:25 pm

Take a look at Photodex…designed for photographer’s presentations. It is awesome and they have different versions depending on your needs and skills (ProShow Gold and ProShow Producer).

See: http://www.photodex.com

Posted by D. Hanson — 28 May @ 9:03 pm

Hi.
You may want to check out our Flash and video presentation software, Flair. Tom Arah of PC Pro wrote: “Flair offers everything you need to produce impressive results. In particular, it brings together the core features from a whole host of applications – Adobe Flash Professional, Microsoft PowerPoint, Articulate Presenter, Sorenson Squeeze and Adobe Captivate – and at a fraction of their cost. That’s extraordinary power and value.”
It is an awesome way to create presentations, especially with video.
You can obtain a free trial at http://www.wildform.com/demos.

Regards,
Jonathan Blank

Posted by Jonathan Blank — 12 Jun @ 2:41 am

It’s a niche market, but I’ve been quite impressed with the results created by Latex and the Beamer layout.

Three advantages here are:
*great math and science layout
*Free!
*Presentation can be transported either as .pdf or a simple ascii file.

Unfortunately, there is a bit of a learning curve.

Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel — 15 Jul @ 7:00 pm

How about MagicPoint? Simple text slides which are human-readable, and presentations can be created in a text editor.

Posted by A.C. Norman — 3 Sep @ 12:02 am

The only problem is with sliderocket.com is that it is really slow. Not very usable in the real world.

Posted by altruista — 4 Sep @ 9:56 pm

What about Adobe Presenter and Adobe Captivate?

Posted by Anonymous — 28 Oct @ 8:46 am

hey, i have a computer thts powerd by my hamster, i think this is the best softwear.
its called the Imac, its incredibly slow, and could power one light bulb on a dull setting, even though this is not a softwear program i strongly recomend not getting a mac, and spend your savings for a rainy day.

Posted by alex walburton — 6 Nov @ 4:02 pm

You can also use crystal xcelsius

Posted by Issam — 19 Nov @ 11:23 am

please include a presenatation software similar to ppt or captivate for making presentation slides

Posted by navin — 20 Dec @ 3:32 pm

the information about all the topics should be more , to explain it better and ya you have missed adobe photoshp.

Posted by tanishq goel — 12 Jan @ 4:33 pm

You missin it all, u hv worked with Microsoft Onenote…It is bad on Tutorials n Presentations.

Posted by larry Ikhidero — 22 May @ 5:47 pm

Any body there have you heard of Easy Worship a presentation software? Please I would like to have a feel of it.

Posted by Annet — 10 Aug @ 1:38 pm

Corel Presentations is available with the WordPerfect Office suite. It’s Ppt compatible and will publish to HTML, PDF or Flash.

Posted by JCG — 18 Nov @ 10:11 pm

I just use a dell computer.

Posted by Kathya — 6 Jan @ 7:37 pm

Powerpoint is very annoying for those of us with netbooks without diskdrives. We can’t install it. Wow, I sound like a spokesperson for all annoyed teens! That’d be good. Apart from OpenOffice Impress [which I already have] can someone point me to a better, free, downloadable version? Don’t get me wrong- I like Impress- but it does get glitchy sometimes.

Posted by Neutral-Pro — 16 Jan @ 7:39 pm

they are all soooo awesome like omg they are soooooooo awesome man like dude just really awesome

Posted by milan brown johnson — 22 Mar @ 7:25 pm

try prezi.com

Posted by rr-beat — 4 Apr @ 10:54 am

The best presentation tool by far is Prezi.com. It incorporates cross-platform online accessibility with a simplistic and beautiful design for presentations. Just face it, Powerpoint IS something we need to dump. Its old, clunky and very limited. Prezi doesn’t use slides, it uses an enormous canvas that will be leaving your audience in awe.

Posted by Anonymous — 6 Apr @ 7:35 pm

I LOVE PREZI!!

Posted by Jamison Wells — 6 Apr @ 7:36 pm

I’ve been experimenting with Prezi for presenting to an audience of around 600 regularly. It is a very interesting approach, especially vs. the “flip chart” paradigm of PowerPoint.

It seems like early version software – there are a number of things not there yet (no control over the format of individual words within a sentence, no automatically generated list formatting, color schemes are fixed…). A clever user can work around some of the limited word formatting, but there appears to be no way around the pre-configured color scheme/font selection combinations.

It’s Flash based with all the good and bad of that (mostly good from my perspective). Another major difference is the lack of an immovable background, over which the information is presented. This is a significantly different way of approaching presentation design. I think I’m going to like it…

Posted by Stevie B — 13 Apr @ 10:00 pm

Posted by jashim uddin — 15 May @ 12:15 pm

Prezi.com

Posted by Michelle J. — 6 Jun @ 9:47 pm

I just discovered Slide Effect (www.slide-effect.com). It may be interesting for people looking for nice transitions and effects.

Posted by Candra Wiens — 16 Jun @ 11:00 am

There is one interactive online software called prezi. Go to prezi.com and watch how capable and easy it is to create a good quality presentation. All work is created on a web browser and it is so easy to use to create the best animated presentations!

Posted by g — 16 Jul @ 2:13 am

Yeah i recommend prezi….. it’s the Best!!!
Everone should check this out

Posted by Tinkie Winkie — 9 Aug @ 9:05 pm

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Posted by keegs — 1 Sep @ 6:00 am

hello

Posted by helloi — 19 Oct @ 12:17 pm

Prezi is the best and kinda different from regular presentation…i liked it very much…

Posted by AKS — 24 Oct @ 8:31 pm

I am trying to create a slide/video presentation that will be via projector to a 23 foot sceen. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what kind of software to created it in. We will be “throwing” the image about 35 feet. I am worried about quality/resolution.

Posted by Anonymous — 26 Oct @ 7:34 pm

People keep telling me that powerpoint is no good and that I should switch to something else. My use of Powerpoint is to provide cyclorama images for musical theatre productions. I include a mix of slides and movies. I find that the movies are s little faded, and that they tend to flash the first frame when moving powerpoint to the next “slide”. I would also like to be able to use slower fade in’s than powerpoint provides even on the “slow” crossfade setting. But I know how to use powerpoint well, and am loathe to change un-necessarily especially to mac where I would have to learn a new set of skills…..any advice?

Posted by Al Croxall — 17 Nov @ 3:58 pm

I have seen presentations where this is a moving video playing in the background. Such as ocean waves, or a park setting with trees blowing in the wind.

Does anyone know what presentation software does this easily?

Thanks,

Richard

Posted by Richard S — 1 Dec @ 4:48 am

goooooooooood thnx and wrst

Posted by lincon — 12 Feb @ 2:37 pm

I love every computer except those that freezes

Posted by Ashley-Ann — 24 Mar @ 12:26 pm

I was just browsing for related posts for my project research and I ended up stumbling upon this. Thank you for the much needed info.

Posted by Andolasoft — 24 Jun @ 11:34 am

prezi is a good one too :) and its easy to use, you can also edit with other people at the same time.

Posted by mangosss — 25 Jul @ 9:13 am

i want about iphones/ipods?
and also which softwares are supported to iphone/ipods

Posted by koti — 5 Aug @ 7:59 am

power point is a better presentation software.
But in films we could see some presentations that make us attractive.we can’t make presentations like that using PP.

Posted by Pani weeratunga — 2 Sep @ 1:45 pm

The best and the only one rather NO1 is PREZI !
Amazing !! And Free !!
Love it.

Posted by No-PPT — 21 Sep @ 1:54 am

Prezi is good particularly for presenting dense text content (the zoom in feature allows you to focus on specific points). Ir also gets the audience’s attention because it is different than PowerPoint. It does, though, require you to be more podium fixed, rather than just using a clicker to move through a PowerPoint presentation.

Posted by Sheryl Elliott — 2 Oct @ 1:56 pm

Vielen Dank fuer den Beitrag. Echt gut geschrieben.

Posted by Elton Dina — 7 Oct @ 6:17 am

Great tools – thank for the article.

Posted by Daniel — 4 Nov @ 11:26 am

Any idea who wrote this?

Posted by Harry — 4 Dec @ 5:16 pm

PREZI!

Posted by Muncles116 — 4 Jan @ 10:01 pm

PresentiaFX anyone?

Posted by Sophia — 10 Jan @ 12:55 pm

C’mon Keynote should have the first place..
I am convinced you can’t make a presentation with PowerPoint that even comes close to how awesome you can make one with Keynote. I’m not an apple fan but i got to hand it to them, The kind of presentations you can make with Keynote is just unbelievable..

Posted by Johnny — 23 Feb @ 8:59 am

I am looking for software that allows anonymous participation from all in a meeting through text or a twitter like feed during the meeting. Using smart phones as the main source for the incoming feed that will be Fed into the presentation. Can you recommend a company/software that can do this?

Posted by Helen — 6 Jun @ 2:09 pm

If you want to tell a story and keep folk focused on one point at a time with some nice ‘wow’ factor Prezi is a great tool!

Posted by Lance Peterson — 29 Aug @ 7:12 pm

if you want to tell a story and keep folk you listen carefully

Posted by pamela — 10 Sep @ 7:37 am

I played a couple of minutes with Aurora 3D Presenter and iwas impressed. PowerPoint for grown ups!

Posted by Robert Dusemund — 13 Sep @ 11:42 pm

Anyone listing Powerpoint under a headline that says “Presentation Software – The Top Ten” is wrong. Period.

Posted by Mats Olsson — 12 Nov @ 2:55 pm

Posted by habibullah — 28 Nov @ 10:17 am

Try Camtasia. Although not necessarily a dedicated presentation software in, my opinion is number 1.

Posted by Sabin Cora — 9 Jan @ 5:16 pm

Thank u so much u jst hlp to solve a topic i would be teaching my student may God richly bless u

Posted by Helen — 26 Feb @ 2:07 am

thank you very much 4 giving me what i need in my project work, which i will be defending

Posted by chinyere — 12 Apr @ 4:29 pm