Presentation Magazine Forum > Speeches

3 minute speech on a any topic

21-03-05
dakzer

3 minute speech on a any topic

Dear Doctor,

I am currently studying an adult course in computer programming with a recruitment company. As part of course, I need to improve my interview, presentation techniques.

I have already performed my first presentation which didn't go as well as I hoped it would.

I am preparing a 2nd speech for tomorrow morning which will be 3 minutes long, on any subject of my choice. I am extremely nervous about it. As I am an introvert person in nature, I find it hard to express myself in a presentations without feeling fake. I also find my confidence sways depending on how things go.

I do enjoy talking to people on a one to one basis. So don't think shyness is a problem for me. But I do believe that certain people are better (natural) speakers than others. So all I am hoping to do, is improve on certain aspects of my interview and presenting skills ready for my job interviews in the next 2 months.

I would be very grateful if you can guide me in any topics I could concentrate on, and techniques to help me relax and appear more receptive to my audience. As I am aware that not only can the speaker be nervous, but the audience can also be uncomfortable as well.

Many thanks,

dakzer

11-04-05
Doctor

There are three main topics that I would suggest that you concentrate on

1. The first is called the rule of three

Put simply people will typically only remember three things. Plan your presentation about the three things that you would like them to remember.

2. Make your presentation visual. If you use pictures in your presentation - you are twice as likely to achieve your objectives.

3. Rehearse - Do it out loud at least 4 times. Rehearsal could make the difference between a good and an average presentation. There are some hints here http://www.presentationmagazine.com/...ion_nerves.htm

Good luck