Presentation Magazine Forum > PowerPoint Questions and Answers

Recommended video format for PowerPoint Package

10-04-06
Ian Stark

Recommended video format for PowerPoint Package

Hello all,

This is my first post here. I am a long time PowerPoint user although I haven't actually used it for a couple of years since quitting my job as a frontman for a software company and starting up a video production company.

A client has asked for a short training video to be delivered via a PowerPoint Package. The training is in the use of a fairly simple computer system and will comprise multiple video clips, some narration, background music, screenshots and text/graphics.

The Package will contain hyperlink buttons to different pages to allow the viewer to see the training section relevant to them.

The reason for choosing PowerPoint is that they want to be able to update screen shots easily as the software system is further developed. Flash is a viable alternative although they prefer PP because of the wider skill base in house.

This is the first time I have been asked to deliver video in this way so I'm keen to overcome any potential pitfalls sooner rather than later.

My questions are as follows:

1. What is the best/safest video format to use within PowerPoint? WMV, AVI? Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with any particular formats?

2. What are the minimum specs for the target PC to view a PowerPoint Package with multiple video files? It is to be sent to around 100 stores in the UK, all with varying specs of PC!

3. Can all PP transitions and animations be used in a Package?

4. Has anyone else had any experience of delivering training in this way and if so, could they share their experiences?

I hope this isn't too demanding a post and sincere apologies if I've pushed the limits of your patience with so many questions!

Any and all advice warmly welcomed.

Ian . . .

24-04-06
tajsimmons

Ian,

1. What is the best/safest video format to use within PowerPoint? WMV, AVI? Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with any particular formats?

A1. MPG (true mpeg 1 format) is the safest for playback across a wide range of PCs (from windows 95 onwards). WMV is my current 2nd choice.

2. What are the minimum specs for the target PC to view a PowerPoint Package with multiple video files? It is to be sent to around 100 stores in the UK, all with varying specs of PC!

A2.I've no idea. The better the spec the better the playback.

A3. I'm not sure what you mean by this one - Do you mean... can the presentation be saved as a single EXE file? or can the presentation be played back without powerpoint? or can it be played back with the free powerpoint viewer?

Cheers

www.awesomebackgrounds.com

24-04-06
Ian Stark

Thanks for the reply!

My customer is now considering using MS Producer to pump out the PowerPoint presentation alongside the video material, so some of those questions are irrelevant now or have changed.

However, for completeness, and in answer to your question, what I mean by "can all transitions/animations be used in a Package" is "do all the transitions (between slides) and animations (that can be applied to text and objects) function correctly when viewed as part of a PowerPoint Package (ie the viewer, pps and associated files bundled on a CD)". I have a vague recollection from a while ago that certain animations did not work properly unless viewed in PowerPoint itself, ie they didn't function when viwed through the PowerPoint Viewer. That may have changed now though, hence the question.

Thanks again for your reply.

Ian . . .

23-05-06
y_not

Hi Ian

Just reading throough your post and thought you might condiser some of the following (based on me doing similar things in the past): -

I use MPEG1 if on a small "inset" screen within PP or MPEG2 for full screen, however you need to be wary of codec issues - Microsoft supplied the Indeo 5 codec (I think it was that one) until they released Windows XP. So a video clip that works fine on Win2k, 98,98SE, ME etc might not work on XP - how bizarre is that!

I made the mistake of assuming that, like my PC, all PC's had sound cards fitted (and speakers) - they didn't!!

The answer woukd seem to be to pack the PP viewer with the CD - will users have admin rights to be able to install the software - mine didn't!!

4. Has anyone else had any experience of delivering training in this way and if so, could they share their experiences?

So, that was my experience - sounds horrendous but it wasn't really so bad. I siply didn't do what you've done - ask - so for a while I felt like a fool but now I see it was just a steep learning curve.

Go for it and enjoy

p.s. Have you looked at Producer - personally I think it is one of those bits of Microsoft they should have left on the cutting room floor. Not something I would recommend to anyone

20-08-07

Mac

I would recommend purchasing a Mac and using iWork. That way you don't have to deal with codec/format issues. Simply use Quicktime and enjoy an incredibly intuitive new way of constructing/showing presentations. Windows is the past, Mac, the future. You know I'm right.

21-08-07
orionaut

More ppt-to-video issues

I'm told I can drop bullet builds created in ppt into my desktop video app if I save each individual slide, then reopen each slide in Windows Picture & Fax Viewer and re-save as either .avi or .jpeg. Sounds like exactly what I need...but how do I get ppt to save out individual slides FULL-SCREEN in the first place?!

Microsoft wants to charge me $49 U.S. to answer this one simple question. That's just not doable for a grad student on a tight budget

Thanks in advance for any/all replies

22-08-07
John Wilson

You can save the slides individually as jpegs by save as > save as type = jpeg.

If you want to assemble them into a video I would use movie maker 2 which you will probably have (it comes with Windows XP)

23-08-07
orionaut

Thank You, John!!!

This is exactly what I needed. My error was in thinking that each slide had to be CURRENTLY DISPLAYED full-screen in order to save it that way...and of course Powerpoint has no save option of ANY sort from its "slide show mode."

You just made my day, and considerably improved the production schedule of my multimedia M.Ed. thesis, the last preparatory step before embarking upon a second career in gifted & talented education after having spent 20 years in sci/tech b2b marcom (specializing in video and "emerging media," concept thru completion). After all those years working with broadcast-quality apps, I am ONLY NOW in my late 40s learning how to do in ubiquitous low-end apps like Powerpoint what I intuitively realize CAN be done and therefore concept-in to my proposed projects before I have any idea how I'm actually going to accomplish it

Bless your expertise and your willingness to share it here. -- Spike

p.s. to whoever assumed I was running Movie Maker: I gave up on that piece of Shi'ite six months ago after only two days of experimentation. I now run Pinnacle's Studio Plus, the "prosumer" version of parent company Avid Technologies' industry-standard broadcast-quality nonlinear editing app. MUCH more flexibility with both transitions and soundtrack, as well as a truly impressive keyframing feature set which MovieMaker entirely lacks. I recommend Studio Plus without reservation to anyone here who wants to create professional-quality video on a home platform.

05-09-08
thedmob

Need Help

I'm working on a presentation - that needs to be working on mac as well as windows - but i am having a hard time finding the best format to inset videos for both.

What would be the best format for both windows and mac?

MPG?

10-09-08
Blue Gloves

Embedded Software Videos

Just to add what I've discovered:

I use Camtasia and record very short software videos and make them into animated gifs. These are small and embed into PowerPoint rather than link, which is what we need since our trainers are just carrying thier presentations on flash drives, and linked files are more complicated.

That being said, I think we're going to have to go to linked presentations soon, so our presentations can be "layered" and more adjustable to individual audiences.

But small animated gifs are very effective!

19-04-09
Hammer

embed Flash movie to PowerPoint presentasion

Removed

04-07-09
jrhx

Recommended video format for PowerPoint adn how to add various videos to PPT

PowerPoint presentations can be spiced up further by adding visual movies. Video movies can provide plenty of and reliable information besides slide bullets.
We can get videos from Websites, DVDs, cam-recorders, cameras, Web cameras, Capture Devices and so on.

How can we add various videos to PowerPoint presentations? We will explain it one by one.

All in all, PowerPoint can only understand WMV, AVI, MPEG video if we have Windows PC. Hence, to add various videos to PPT, we need to transfer the videos from different resources to WMV, AVI firstly. We do not often choose MPEG to add to PPT as MPEG-2 movies usually are not that easy to play in PowerPoint - they are more reliant on both hardware and software and usually may not work in PowerPoint even if they do play correctly in Windows Media Player.

Add Youtube video to PPT
Youtube video is FLV format and located at other server. Hence, you need to download and convert the Youtube video to WMV or AVI and then insert it to PPT.
There is another tutorial which explains how to add Youtube video to PPT step by step. You may refer to this tutorial How to Put Youtube Video Clip to your PowerPoint Presentations.

Besides Youtube, there are also Teachertube or Godtube and other video sharing Websites you can find videos.

Add DVD movies to PPT
We cannot add DVD to PPT directly. We need to rip it and then convert it to WMV or AVI and then insert it to PPT.
You can Google DVD ripper to find a rip tool you like and satisfy.

Add digital cam-recorder video to PPT
Digital camcorders with USB 2.0 output interface are gaining wide popularity. If you have one such USB cam like Cannon, Sony, Nikon ETC, you can easily save the video to your computer with AVI or WMV extensions. Then you can add them to PPT.

Add camera video to PPT
We sometimes use our camera to shoot mini footage for fun. If you have Cannon A570 like me, you can save the footage to AVI on local computer like me. And then you can insert it to presentations directly.

Add VHS or analog video to PPT

If we have VHS or analog video, we need to use Video Capture Devices and software to save the video to digital videos and save as AVI or WMV and then we can add them to PPT.

Add newly recorded video with Web camera to PPT
We may not have video at hand and we just want to add a talking head to tell the audience some information with funny faces. At this situation, we can record it right now with the Web camera which comes with our laptop or buy separately if we have a desktop.
I have a web cam which comes with my TOSHIBA. I can save the recorded video clips to AVI directly. Then I can add it to PowerPoint presentations.

To Insert Video to PPT
If you have PowerPoint 2007, go to Insert -> Movie -> Movie from file to insert the video in the very slide you want.
If you have PowerPoint 2003, select Insert menu, point to Movies and Sounds, and then click Movie from File.
Then, browse and choose the movie you want to add and click OK. Then you will be prompted to choose how you want the movie to start in the slide show, Automatically or When clicked. Automatically is recommended usually.

Done! You can run current slide to preview it.

If you want to transfer your PowerPoint presentation with video clips to another computer, you'd better save the video in the same folder with your presentations and then insert the video to your presentation. And then you copy then both to your flash drive and then save them to another computer.
Or if you also want to save your PowerPoint presentations to DVD for further distribution, you can choose on method to save your PPT to DVD for viewing on DVD.

07-10-09
random powerpoint lady

mac/pc incompatability!

Just to add to this - in my experience mpegs MAY corrupt your ppt presentations if you build them with a mac and then transfer onto pc (bloody pc's!!)

The safest bet in my view is an AVI!!