Presentation Magazine Forum > Funeral Speech (Eulogy)

Poem for my dear nan

02-01-06
Catherine

Poem for my dear nan

I am doing a poem at my dear nans funeral she meant alot to me and i have decided on the one below, i am however struggling with what to say afterwards. I would like to say something to my nan but dont just want to say rest in peace, can anybody help

God saw you getting tired
and a cure was not to be
so he put his arms around you
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

With tearful eyes we watched you
and saw you pass away
and although we love you dearly
we could not make you stay.

A Golden heart stopped beating
hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove us
he only takes the best

05-01-06
Pamela

Hello,

Sorry to read about your nan.

The poem you have is really touching. Have you thought about ending it by simply saying how you feel or wishing your nan well in the world of spirit? I suppose it depends on your beliefs.

If it were me...I would probably just say what I felt inside and not worry about it being fancy - as long as it comes from the heart.

Hope you work out what you want to say.

Best Wishes

Pamela

12-03-07

Hello Catherine, I too have lost my Nan and have been thinking about what I would like to say at her funneral. I found your poem on this forum and it immediately struck a chord in my heart and the way I feel. If it is ok with you I would like to say these words on the day of my Nans funneral. I hope this is ok. Thanks catherine X Andy

03-04-07

poem

hi there , sorry to here of your lose i read this very poem at my grandfathers furneral 3 years ago. it ment alot to my grandmother who is now very ill and i will be reading it at her furneral as well. at the end i will just being talking about all the great times i spent with my nan like in school holidays i would go and spend them with her doing our nails and me always having to rub cream in her feet.. hope this helps you with what to say just let it come from the heart. my thoughts are with you in this time of loss.

23-04-07

sorry to hear bout your nan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine
I am doing a poem at my dear nans funeral she meant alot to me and i have decided on the one below, i am however struggling with what to say afterwards. I would like to say something to my nan but dont just want to say rest in peace, can anybody help

and a cure was not to be
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

and saw you pass away

he only takes the best

sorry to hear that your nan has died hun i have just losted my nan to and i went to her funeral last week its hard to lose someone as close to you as a nan but just remeber alll the good memories you had with her becuase im sure your nan wouldnt of wanted you to be sad thats what all my mates keep telling me but your poem is really nice and if you dont mind can i take it and add my own words into it for my nan so i can put it on her grave stone please hun

27-04-07

my nan is dying at the moment of cancer she is in her mid 80's and has been given two months i am devastated and want to read something at her funeral your poem is beautiful!
i am sorry for your loss!

x

Quote:

and a cure was not to be
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

and saw you pass away

he only takes the best

30-04-07

you should say i love you nan and i will never forget you!!

Quote:

and a cure was not to be
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

and saw you pass away

he only takes the best

08-05-07

My nanny just passed away last night and as the oldest grandchild i am going to speak at her funeral - your poem was really touching and I might use some of the words as i found them comforting and touching.

08-05-07

I dont know if I did my reply correctly - so I thought I would do it again, my nanny passed away last night and she had a huge impact on my life and meant so so much to me. I have decided that i need to speak at her funeral and when i saw your words i was completly touched and knew that those words summed up how I am feeling, I would really like to say the poem at the end of my speach - if that is okay. They have actually made me feel better by reading them. - AB x

09-05-07
remembrancebook

Last words

We all wish we'd had more time to tell people what we really thought about them whilst they were living, so tell your Nan the things you wish you had time to tell her before she died.

Believe your Nan is there.
Believe this is the last time you will ever be able to speak directly to her.

Tell her how much she's influenced you, how much she's helped you.
Tell her how much you love her, and how much you'll miss her.
Tell her how proud you are of the things she achieved in her life.
Tell her you are going to uphold her values, and that you're going to make her proud of the things you will do in your life.

Relax. You're talking to a friend.
remembrance-book.com

10-05-07

Your poem is beautiful, I lost my nan early this morning, who also was a very very dear and big part of my life.

If it's ok I would also like to "borrow" some of this poem as I feel it says what I want to say.

I'm sorry for everyone's losses on this thread, and hope that in time we can all look back on our happy memories and cherish the love between us and our nan/gran/nanny.

x

27-06-07

Hi Catherine.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, it is so heart breaking to lose someone so close and someone you have looked up to your whole entire life. I have just recently lost my nan who was the world to me. She just had her 82nd birthday on June the 9th and passed away on the 19th. She was very ill, she had a major stroke in January which paralised her body and taking her sight. She was a lovely lady and I can't find the words to express how I feel about her. I hope you dont mind if I used your poem, I changed some of the wording so it wasn't exactly the same...I never knew how to say goodbye to my nan so my family set up a bebo page for her (www.bebo.com) so that every time we need to talk to her we write it on their. She has a huge family so it was only better to do it this way so we could all express how we were feeling. Maybe this could help I dont know but it sure has helped me....thank you

03-07-07

14/6/07 RIP. Always missed but not forgotten.

Tht date is the date that i lost my nana and like most have said tht poem was read at her funeral.
To anyone who was told tht someone with cancer has not long to live you have to keep believing and pray.
I did and even tho she was told she had weeks to live she got to spend 6 more months with me and my family and for tht i am greatfull.
I will always no even tho she lost the fight to luekimia she went down with one last fight and now my memorys with her are what i have to remember the best Nana a person could ask for.

I also lost a Cousin to meningitis but i will always remeber him too as he was the the best cousin i could ask for and was always there.

04-07-07

nan's poem

sorry for your loss, all these messages so how much nans really mean to us. If it is ok with you , i would like to read this poem at my nans funeral thursday. A fitting tribute to all nans..

27-07-07

Hi Cathrine, What a lovely poem, its jut perfect.
Sadly i lost my nana yesturday and ive been asked to do a speech at the funeral. Would you mind if i chose the same poem poem as you? please let me know and ill respect your wishes. thank you x

30-07-07

[quote=Catherine]I am doing a poem at my dear nans funeral she meant alot to me and i have decided on the one below, i am however struggling with what to say afterwards. I would like to say something to my nan but dont just want to say rest in peace, can anybody help

and a cure was not to be
and whispered,
"Come to Me"

and saw you pass away

he only takes the best

hello, my nanjust passed away last tuesday the thig that anoyed me the most was that i did not see her. but still i likes your poem

16-08-07

hey catherine
the poem is really nice it is absolutely beautiful!!!!
i am really sorry to here about ur nan!!!!
ps: i am soooo sorry to hear the bad news!!!!!

28-08-07

Poem for nan

My nan's funeral is next week and I was looking online for some help on a poem for the day. I had to write and say that it was like taking the very words from my own heart when I read your poem. I do hope you don't mind me using your words and add some of my own. I really feel that your poem is the best one I have ever read and I wish I could have found those words myself. Thank you so much

04-09-07

Im sorry to hear about your loss. Im sure that the funeral has long come and past but thank you for posting that poem... I read the first part at my grammys funeral and I couldnt find the rest of it. I hope that you can be strong thru the greaving prosses. Good luck and best of wishes.

04-10-07

This poem was on the back of the order of service for my Papa's funeral this morning (04/10/07) and it summed up completely everything about his last few weeks.

He had been suffering from cancer for a long time, and God obviously saw that he was tired. I'm so glad he isn't suffering anymore. I'll miss him always.

Just like everyone else has said, you really should just say whatever comes to you, maybe don't even think about it and the words will just come to you.

08-10-07

nan

am sorry to hear about your nan. My nan passed away last week, I have the funeral tomorrow and was searching for a poem and found the same poem as you. I too am not sure what to say at the end, I think that I may just finish with - and our nan was the best. She will be hugely missed, but our memories of her will stay clear in our hearts and minds forever.
Make the day a celebration of her life as well as a chance to greive. x

14-10-07

thank you

Hi Catherine

i just want yo say thank you, your poem has help me so much with what i needed to say at my nans funeral she passed away on Wednesday.

06-11-07

your poem

your poem blew me away...you have said everything that is true for my nan also.
i lost my nan 6 days ago. yuor words mean so much and they are so beautiful i would very much like to use them for her funeral myself.thank you..x

20-11-07

sorry

srry to hear th lost of ur nan my nan die 5 years go and i still cry now ijust dont know wht to do half the time i hate it

05-12-07
ema

sorry

hi iam sorry about to hear about your nan i know what its like to lose someone and its hard although i thought it was a lovly poem for your nan see ya

13-12-07

hi there my nan died on the 29th august last year age 85 i was with her when she passed away and are a very close family it broke my heart.i read a poem at her funeral as did my siblings but my sister read this poem and it was so apt.all that is left to say is i love you nan and i will see you again some time xx hope this has helped.

28-12-07
annonimus

i want my best friend to not grieve

hi im 12 and my best friend has a nan who is dying of alsimas dieses i dont want her to grieve because i no that it is so upsetting her nan is not going yet but i think that she will soon i want to find a way of helping my best friend through her time of need when it comes i want to be able to help her so could you please give me some tips

14-01-08
PMR

Such a touching poem written from the heart

I lost my Nan last week and its her funeral on Friday.

I've been asked to say a few words which is not going to be easy as you know.

Well done to you and thank you so much...

04-02-08
Catus Da Goth

Yer Nan

Soz bout ur NAn, I lOst both my Grandads in the ,last 4-5 years, And the first lone that that, 4 years ago and the youngest aswell, his mother had died 1 month before him.

I hope she enjoys life as a re-ncarnated creature if she's a buddhist as I am, If she's Christian, she's in heaven trust me, i know these things.

09-02-08

nan's funeral

i cried as soon as i read your poem, i will use it at my nans funeral next week, thank you

03-03-08

A beautiful peom

A beautiful peom, my nan passed away last week and I would like to use your words if you permit,

Best wishes

05-03-08
aus_chick

its never goodbye

hey i just read your peom it is such a beautifull poem i lost my great nan two years ago and i kno how hard it was to loose her and unfortually i didnt get to go to her funeral.... at the end of your peom like just bout everyones said just speak from your heart because if she was to actually be listening to it she would be so happy to just hear you talking from your heart....

23-03-08
stacey

awwwwwww

im sorry to hear about your nan but shell be happy to see you worrying about her and how much you love her xx

10-04-08

my nan

hi,

sorry about your nan if its ok i would love to use this poem to put in with my nan who sadly passed away wednesday the 2nd april 2008.

the poem is so touching and i know that she would have liked it.

i know that all the nans that have passed are in the safe arms of god and i know that he is looking after them all hope this gives you a little comfort in knowing that they are safe and will always be missed.

i will always remember my nan in all her glory and i know that she is resting in peace and will always be in my heart and my memories.

22-04-08

sorry

i lost my nan to n iam very sorry to hear about your nan

22-04-08
Corrina

I am so so sorry

Aww, Cathrine x
You most be heartbroken. My nan hasn't died but my grandad has. I know how you feel. I bet she was a wonderful nan. She sounds so wonderful. I hope you cope. Here is a tip. Why don't you create a folder all about your nan and write your feelings down and stick them in the folder. Keep them in a secret place. Yes, it will make you upset. I did it. Just to make me believe my grandad and your nan is still alive in mine and your hearts. I know your hurt. But that, I thought was a really good idea. I did it. It worked. Yes, I know I still get upset but in the end it does make you feel better. Believe me. Anyway, Cathrine. Listen to me, I hope you cope and I wish you the best wishes and I am so so sorry. Just remember she is there. In your heart. You believe that, and you will feel better.
Sorry again and best wishes.

Love Corrina x

09-05-08

My Nan My world

Thankks cathrine you took the words right out of my mouth, my nan died today and i have to speak as well, may i borrow some of your poem

21-06-08

my nan died on thursday night

I am sorry to hear about your nan as will my nan died on thursday late at night i miss her soo much.

21-07-08
debs1234

i lost my nan on the 14th july 08

hiya i losted my grandma 8 weeks ago and sadly on the 14th july i lost my nan.
i miss them both loads.sometimes i wish i could turn back time.and tell them i loved them more.which they new i did.her funeral is tomorrow.so i will beable to tell her how much i love her and she will be missed loads she as 4 great grandchildren which will also miss her loads.they will always be in are hearts forever and ever.

25-08-08
sinead

hiya, i lost my nan in december 07 and heres the poem i wrote 4 her-hope it helps

if i could have just 5 minutes more with you
here is what id say
i miss and love you so much nan
and this pain wont go away.

i miss all the chats we'd have
where we'd put the world to rights
we'd sit and talk for hours
usually well into the night.

when i got the call that day
my world stood still
theres a place forever in my heart for you an
a place only you can fill.

you'll never see me get married
or meet the man i love
my kids will never kno there great-great nan
but i know you[ll be watching from above.

i know one day we'll meet again
i don't know where i don't know when
but i know your up there waiting for me
your brightest star for all to see.

now i must move on dear nan
this is just my way to say
i was honored to have you in my life
and i will remember you each and every day.

03-02-09
chantelle

i no how u feal

i thinck this poam meanns alot cus am going thriugh the same thing now my nan has 24hours to live and i dont no wa to do bless ..x

06-03-09
jordan

my nan

i know how u feel i feel sorry my nan died just a few weeks ago too and i liked your poem very much and i always read it to remined me of my nan so thank u love from jordan well bye.

18-03-09

my nan

thank you to every1 who has posted on here i got the sad news yesterday that my nan has past away and some of the things people have written have helped me 2 start my greiving process thank you cathrine for writting the lovely poem and for every1 who has lost any1 in there life im sorry for your losses

22-03-09

this poem is amazing i wish i had found it when my nan died. i love her. i miss her. i need her

06-04-09

my nan

hello my nan passed away on the 4.4.09 and i would love to use your poem is that ok ?
sorry to hear about your nan x

28-04-09
ashleigh1

Hi im ashleigh and im doing the race for life in memory of my nan, who sadly passed away shortly after being diagnosed with breast cancer

I read this poem out at my nans funeral and at the end we added

'It broke our hearts to lose you
but you did not go alone
for part of us went with you
the day god took you home'

hope this helps x

08-05-09

I had something like that engraved on my dogs urn..

"God saw you were getting tired,
A cure was not to be,
So he put his arms around you,
And whispered 'come with me'.

With tearful eyes we watched you suffer,
And saw you fade away,
Although we love you dearly,
We could not make you stay.

So when we saw you sleeping,
So peacefully from pain,
We could not wish you back again,
To suffer that way again.

A golden heart stopped beating,
Hard working paws at rest,
God took you to prove to us,
He only takes the best.

In life I miss you dearly,
In death I love you still,
My heart holds a special place for you,
No dog will ever fill."

09-05-09

sorry to hear about your nan, i lost my nan in apil.. she died of cancer... i wish i could of read something like that, i really wanted to read someting out.. but i was too upset.. that poem is lovley.. really touching xx

13-05-09

Im sorry to hear about your loss....

I have to say the poem you have written is truly beautiful you should be proud and i am sure your nan is proud of you.. the poem you have written is a inspiration to us all, i have lost one nan and have one left she really isnt well and i dred the day she passes she is truly the most important person in my life we share the same birthday i can honestly say i love her more than anyone in my family....

And remember there is no wrong or right way to grieve so if any one tells you differently dont listen and be strong....

Make your nan proud.....

15-05-09

Sorry for the loss of your nan, my nan passed away yesterday. Its hurts sooo much.
Your poem is lovely and im sure your nan will be proud. I found one very similar but still finding it hard to choose the perfect one her. I know that once i have found one i will know what to say after, im gonna speak from the heart and tell how sadly missed she will be and to remember all the good times we shared together

15-05-09
Leigh Age : 13

R.i.p

I Lost My Nan Recently Too N Im Only 13. She Was Like my best friend and now shes gone i feel lost

16-05-09

Thank you

My dear friend died on April 15, 2009. She had seen this poem on a card from the death of another friend and loved it. She wanted a card like that one to give out when cancer took her life.

thank you again,

Pat

03-06-09

Taz

Catherine

My Dearest Nan was taken peacefully to heaven 1st June 09. Your poem struck an emotional cord inside me. I would love to read your poem to my Nan on her final journey to heaven. I am sorry to hear your sad news but remember your paths will meet again XX

01-07-09

Sorryy

Sorry to hear about your nan my nan died on friday and i think i might be reading this poem on the upcoming monday .. My mother will be proud of me because she was like my best friend at least she at piece as as your nan will be .. xx

01-07-09
peyton walker

sorry about your nan

my nan has just passed away to.

Say what you want to say dont let any one tell you no diffrent.
Your nan understands and thats all that counts.

05-07-09

sorry

i lost my nana in october 2 cancer n that poem brought tears 2 my eyes, its really touching

06-08-09

The one thing that troubles me about this poem is the line "He only takes the best". Surely God has a place for everyone and is not selective? There are several versions of this poem so maybe somebody can come up with an alternative to that line.

20-08-09

SO so so sorry about that i have just lost my grandad

heres something

you are in my heart the rest is in my soul i know your safe now ill always think of you

hows that

12-11-09

hey bout ur poem

i done the same wen i lost pop i wrote a poem straight from mi heart im jus bout to lose nan waitin on a phone call

if i wrote this poem mi nxt lines would be

how do i say goodbye to such a special lady?
i cnt because there is no goodbye to mi nan she will remain strong in our years

nana ur love was pricless were always here,
i was never afraid around u to shed mi tears
u undastood how i felt ,
made me feel like i had mi world
i dnt know why you have been taken from us
i ask miself i ask mi family no one can open there mouths n say
coz nanna although your not here .. u will remain in our hearts forever i love u nana never gonna let u go

02-12-09
kammy

Sorry for your ant ..
But your poem is excellent and It's a great creation of yours ... Really it's a heart toughing poem .. You have done excellent writing for your ant .. I've also see the reply of everyone. Everyone liked your poem excepting few people. Thanks a lot for sharing your lovely and heart touched creation ..

02-01-10

i sorry

i know how you feel i know that we want all our family back > the people that have left us but i know and you know we will vistit them and be with them soon xxx
love
harriet x ps your poem is great i love it

21-05-10
Resa

Simply amazing..